Insulated Solar Electric Cooker
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Go down
Pete Schwartz
Pete Schwartz

Are you using ISEC daily? Empty Are you using ISEC daily?

Thu Apr 08, 2021 12:05 pm
I think it's crucially important to be using ISEC every day in order to both develop the technology as well as promote ISEC use for others. If we don't use it, how can we expect others to take it up? My intention is not to be ordering anyone to use the ISEC. However, if you're not using the ISEC daily, we might inquire "why not?", and "what would have to change in order to make me want to use it every day?"

I can share my experience and I ask that everyone else share their experience:

Initially, I used the original direct heat (without thermal storage) ISEC after we collected data on it for the "Hot Diodes!" paper. I used it only once in a while, when I had a stew to cook for a day.
1) I think the most important change I made was bringing the ISEC into the kitchen by means of a longer wire, connected to the solar panel on the roof. Just like the literature claims, I myself also didn't want to cook outside, when everything I need to cook is in my kitchen.
2) Another change that helped was after adding the thermal storage. This allowed me to heat things almost as quickly as with a microwave oven. Additionally, the temperature never got hot enough to burn the food, so it is very convenient.
3) Lastly, I added a 12 V DC, grid-connected power supply that costs $11 and provides 40W - 50W such as this one. You can also buy an 18V power supply for about $27 such as this adjustable voltage power supply. However, be careful because if you adjust the voltage too high, the power will exceed the rated limit and kill the power supply... that's what happened to me.

Please consider making these steps, or at least as many as you can. Please also offer your own experience in your effort to use ISEC daily.

Pete
bidjanga
bidjanga
http://www.gerpad.mozello.com

Are you using ISEC daily? Empty Re: Are you using ISEC daily?

Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:04 am
Hi Pete,
I agree with you for the daily use of the ISEC cooker.Although I haven't yet built our own ISEC cookers for us and local communities here in Yaounde Cameroon, I think these ISEC cookers may help a lot ; we aree lucky to have sunshine , almost everyday here in Cameroon ( since the begining of the cliamte climate change ) and ccokig fuels such as LPG gas or charcoal or firewood, are very expensive .Not forgetting that , cooking with firewood and charcoal are very toxic.To me, ISEC cookers will be considered as a great opportunity for cameroon users to save money and maintain their health. Thanks
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum